Sunday, March 26, 2006

Serenity Now!

Apart from being a great line from Seinfeld, Serenity now seems to be the chant from thousands of science fiction fans across the world.

Serenity is a movie, some say the new Star Wars, where characters and story line overpower special effects. A cross between science fiction, a western, and film noir, Serenity is the popular cult movie that should never have been made. Serenity is based on the story arc of Firefly, a cancelled Fox TV series, which did not even complete a full season. The DVD was released, and was a cult favorite and started quite a few "conversions" as fans call them. A "conversion" is basically someone watching the DVD, and getting hooked after 1 or 2 shows. Funny that the show has more of a following after it died, than when it was alive. Now the reason Serenity should never have been made, is that a major motion picture, as far as I know, has never been based on a cancelled TV show. I guess the plague of reality shows, have killed off a few gems with intellegent writting and characters. Seeings bimbos try to win the heart of a fake loser millionaire in front of millions of viewers is winning over clever storytelling. To be quite honest, I saw one episode on TV (I had heard a little about it) and was not "converted". I couldn't get the western meets sci-fi angle. It took me about two episodes on the DVD to be "converted". Within one week, I had seem the whole series and wanted more.

Firefly season Two is something that all Browncoats (dedicated fans of the show) want. You too can help here. With the way content is going, such as buying TV shows off iTunes, who knows if there is a huge market for independent shows. If Firefly put out episodes that you could pay $1.99 to download, I would do it. So would thousands of others. Now, if I could watch only those few shows that I actually enjoy, I would cancel my satellite! Shows could be offered for free for the pilot - to get you hooked, and then a pay-per-view system would commence. I like it.

So, let's help Firefly get a second season, maybe we will change the history of TV.

No comments: