Thursday, March 09, 2006

St-Vicious Day

While some celebrate St-Valentines in February, others celebrate St-Vicious Day.

Now, I don't celebrate Valentines day, based on its origins, which can be researched here. What about St-Vicious Day though? What is it?

Celebrated February 2nd, on the death of legendary punk icon - Sid Vicious (John Simon Ritchie). Basically, some regard Sid as a Saint and gather to remember this tragic kid and his life, and death. Growing up with a punk influence, I always thought of Sid as the poster boy of the punk scene. Now, older and wiser (I hope), I have changed my mind.

Sid had no other talent other than causing a scene, which could be argued to be a talent in itself! Often during the Sex Pistols shows, his bass was either turned off, or the sound lowered. My view of Sid was influenced by the movie Sid & Nancy in which Gary Oldman brilliantly plays the part of Sid. The tragic story of love, heroin and its downfall, finally ending with Sid charged with the murder of his girlfriend Nancy Spungen, found stabbed in room 100 of the Chelsea Hotel. Sid died of a heroin overdose while on bail February 2nd, 1979. You might see little punk kids wearing a black band around their arm during this time of the year in remembrance of Sid.

I don't celebrate the life of Sid. Reading Rotten: No Irish-No Blacks-No Dogs by John Lydon gave me a different view of Sid, one I believe more than his larger than life legend. Sid was a follower. He was violent (the whole broken glass issue at the 100 Club Show). He was chosen for the band, not on talent, but because of his look. All this, I can accept. That's the spirit of punk. Just do it, may be coined by Nike, but the Punks are the ones that just did it. It is his downward drug addiction that I can't celebrate. Live fast, die young was my motto for a time, but I got smart, I got out. What I find tragic is kids following a hero that ultimately will lead them downward. Don't get me wrong, I love the Pistols for what they did to music, and even fashion for that matter. They built on the Ramones, and helped shape and influence great music today. But the cliche rock and roll lifestyle is not one to be followed or celebrated. Celebrate life, celebrate great music, great bands.

Life is short, and it would be a shame to lose some creative souls to addiction.

Rock on!

No comments: