Monday, February 19, 2007

I've got a bad case of the Vistas

So, I decided to be the guinea pig and buy Vista Home Premium from Future Shop (comparable to XP Media Centre). I happen to have my computer in the shop, and was able to do a full backup...just in case. I purchased the upgrade version for $168.00 plus tax. The best way to install an OS is always from scratch. Unfortunately, Vista Upgrade will only install from within Windows XP (or 2000), but it does do a clean install in the sense that it moves all your files to a folder called windows.old. The upgrade also invalidates your existing XP license. There is a way to perform a clean install it is reported, and this is how you do it:

Install Vista (Boot from the CD) and install the version you bought. DO NOT put your serial number, and it will become a 30 day trial. Finish installing Vista, and do it again, this time from Vista (Windows) and choose to upgrade. Now put in your Key and you will have performed a clean install. Of course, make sure you abiding by the license agreement, but it seems like a good compromise to get a clean install.

Wow. Talk about eye candy. I have a P4 3.2 GHz, with 2 GB of Ram, and a good Nvidia card with 256 MB of ram. Not the most recent, but not too shabby either. I am able to use the Aero desktop, which is because I have a dedicated video card.

Observations:
Takes a little getting used to finding out where everything is.
Whenever you install something or the CD autoruns, you are asked to confirm the action. Although this might sound annoying, it is actually a great protection.
Nice little extras like Mahjong and Chess games.
The built in DVD movie maker is pretty good. I normally use Pinnacle software, but it was getting more and more buggy.
Playing DivX or Xvid files where a little strange using vlc media player. I would say a little blocky. Hoping updating the video driver will fix that.
I installed Lego Star Wars Trilogy and that worked perfectly, but tried installing Bratz Babyz (for my daughter...not for me!) and that did not work at all!
My Sound Blaster Audigy was not detected, but installing Beta drivers from Creative Labs got it working.

Should you upgrade? Make sure you use a high end P4 with 1 GB, but preferably 2 GB of ram, and a good video card. Make sure it is not your primary work computer, because its stability has yet to be proven. Install it if you are not afraid of change (How did you react with the new IE7? Hate it? Then don't upgrade to Vista).

On another note, I also tried Office 2007. Love the new look. Love the new menus (completely different from what you are used to). Outlook on my laptop is a dog! Sloow as molasses. Kind of frustrating.

So, I'm glad I upgraded, and I'll let you know when I get my first blue screen.

No comments: