Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Smoke on the Logger

Congradulations to Johnny Helbo who won the Gillan's Inn Smoke on the Water contest! Johnny builds beautiful log homes and did some work with beams at my house in Morin Heights. He recorded this song a while ago to help his song learn how to play. What does the band think?

Judges Comments:
Ian: Interesting. F#(king Great! I love it. Total disrespect, it’s great. Brilliant.

Michael: What a radical and fun interpretation. It’s fresh, brave, different and I loved it.

John: Another original interpretationI really like the heavy feelThe lo-fi of the lead vocals felt a little odd at first but once I got used to to it I quite liked the approach – you can sing – on balance I think I’d rather hear you without the effect.Same goes for the lead guitar – you should have been in the guitar section – lose the reverb and get up frontGreat band and a good mix – hats off to the engineer.

Thanks to all who helped in the voting. A very special thanks goes to the mystery fan "Enema Bootcamp" who stayed up late voting and putting Johnny over the top in this close race.

Wow...Johnny wins some cool gear from the band! Sweet.

No comments: