Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Logi-non-Tech Customer Support

In my 15 years of working in the tech industry, I finally met her. The worst tech support person in the industry. Now, I'm not saying she is not intelligent, funny and probably great at a party, but wow...talk about a non-techie! In the hundreds of tech support calls I do each year for clients, I have talked to all kinds of people. Some are better than others, and I'm happy to say that gender and race have nothing to do with it. Sure it's hard to understand some support people in India, but most are very fluent and friendly.

In this case, it is simply a case of not being able to listen (see previous Blog!). I always start my calls with what I did to troubleshoot the problem myself (thereby saving myself much time redoing what I just did with them once again), and usually a good tech will sense that I seem to know what I'm doing. I don't talk down to them, I just clearly explain all the steps I took, and then I ask for their help since I am at a dead end. Usually, we solve the problem together, saving both of us precious time. In this case, that short explanation took close to 1/2 an hour! Here is a sample (I wish I had the recording):

Randal: So I updated the software and it instructed me that it was going to flash the firmware. When I rebooted, Windows could not load the drivers for the Bluetooth dongle, even when I forced it to install (since I know where the file is located). I think the firmware was corrupt.

Tech: What's a firmware? Did you update the with the latest software?

Randal: Yes. (I go on to explain for several minutes what a firmware is...not registering with her).

Tech: What error message do you get?

Randal: Nothing works because the Bluetooth dongle (made by Logitech) will not detect. I get the Windows found new hardware wizard. It tells me that it can't find the drivers for the device.

Tech: What error message do you get?

Randal: (I proceed to re-explain all of the above, saying that the only error message I get is that Windows will not install the driver properly, because I suspect the firmware got corrupted during the update...I then had to explain what a firmware is again.)

Tech: What is the error message again?

Randal: (I then proceeded to read what is being detected several times...I don't think she even knew what Device Manager or Found New Hardware Wizard was!)

Tech: ...puts me on hold to ask someone else...(finally)...Sir, you have to update your USB from Microsoft.

Randal: All my USB ports are working fine. (I then repeat that it only happened after flashing the firmware...I then explain what a firmware is...that all my USB devices are fine. I ask for a link to the Microsoft site where I can do this task she asks of me. There is no USB update from Microsoft apart from the Service Packs...so I have no clue what they want me to do, but I know they are passing the buck). I finally got frustrated (30 minutes into the call...I think I did pretty good) and ask if she mentioned anything about the firmware to the other people while she put me on hold. NO. That was too much. The link between me and technical support was being communicated by someone who had a hard time understanding what Device Manager does in life.

---end of call---34 minutes and 41 seconds

At my hourly rate, I could of bought a new keyboard and mouse. I don't even want a new one, I just want a working dongle!

I have always sold Logitech products, mainly because of their incredible support and return policy. No hassles...until now.

Will this painful saga ever end? I will keep you posted.

No comments: