Tuesday, September 13, 2005

The death of MTV Canada



I cancelled my Satellite dish for the summer. No sense staying indoors to watch re-runs! Just got my signal back this week (saved $150 for 3 months!) and of course, being DJ Randal, I tuned in to MTV Canada.


What? What is this Razer & Much Punch? Guess I'm canceling those channels ASAP! Razer features the worst of MTV Canada, and Much Punch is just a weird pay chatting channel.

All in all, I have to say that I was guilty of watching MTV2 during commercials, and it was nice to get to know new and popular music. I used some songs during my DJ sets, and I stayed abuzz with the younger crowd. I would not say that MTV was my station, because I rarely listen to rap and the alternative I do listen to, does not revolve around the 50 bands that sound like Eddie Vedder on valium. My favorite band right now is Clutch. Now that rocks.

I guess we are back to radio for cool new tunes. Too bad Henry Rollins no longer broadcasts Harmony in my head, which featured punk, along side Jazz, Funk, Eclectic, etc. Contact me if you want some MP3's of his shows. They are pretty good, and as always, Henry is the quintessential storyteller (Sorry VH1, you got beat!).

So will Canada recover from the loss of MTV? Are we stuck with Much Music?

I for one, will call StarChoice and cancel Razer & Punch Much. Actually, if I could punch Much...I would!

Let's support the local music scene. Canada has great up and coming bands. I heard Coldplay raved about Arcade Fire. There is my blog about Stars. What about The Stills? Saw them with Kevin Jenne during the Strut party at the Rialto. How about some old school stuff: Me Mom & Morgentaler (Where are they now?), Deja Voodoo (Started the OG record label. Interesting article about where these guys are now), Condition, The Gruesomes (saw them with Sean Ryan at Cafe Campus a while ago. Still rocking!), Sons of the Desert (Strange memorabilia, I have the singers driver's license. ), The Doughboys, Stellar Dweller, Tinker (Melissa Auf Der Maur started there), Slaves on Dope, Bootsause, The Asexuals, Disapointed a Few People, etc.

For an interesting article on the Montreal Scene (Click here)



I remember seeing the Gruesomes along with Deja Voodoo at Foufoune Electrique when I was a pimple nosed kid. I had a broken leg and I spray painted my cast for the occasion. Deja Voodoo opened and where great. Gerald kept head banging and losing his nerd glasses. It was classic. The Gruesomes came on after and rocked the place. You have to love those haircuts!

Forget MTV. Cancel Razer. Let's support the real artists, the ones from our own home town.

Buy a CD just because you love the cover art. Only listen to it at home. That is musical adventure.

Mahalo

No comments: